Disclaimer: This blog post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission to fund my coffee drinking habit if you use these links to make a purchase. You will not be charged extra, and you’ll keep me supplied in caffeine. It’s a win for everyone, really
Chances are if you wear makeup, you have brushes.
Guess what? These brushes (and sponges) can harbor bacteria!
This bacteria can easily break you out and can even lead to infection if you use dirty makeup brushes.
You need to clean your makeup brushes every 1-2 weeks. I personally try to do once a week and if I can’t, I switch out for my backup set.
I have a few products that help me get my brushes all clean without ruining them!
- Makeup brushes (I love mine from Sigma-see my review of my must have brushes here)
- This mat to scrub the brushes
- This drying rack
- Brush cleanser or baby shampoo
- Bar of soap
For Your Brushes
Aim to do this once a week:
- Gather all of your dirty makeup brushes
- Lay out a towel on your counter
- Place the drying rack on top of the towel
4. Place the scrubbing mat in the sink.
- I love that this one suctions to the bottom of the sink so no sliding around.
5. Dip the makeup brush in the running water
6. Add brush cleanser to the brush
7. Scrub, scrub, scrub8. Rinse the brush off
9. Place in the drying rack upside down.
10. Leave overnight and you will have clean brushes in the morning!
Aim to do this after every use:
- Gather beauty blender
2. Wet the beauty blender
3. Grab regular unscented bar of soap.
4. Rub the beauty blender around on the bar of soap
5. Rinse well
6. Squeeze out excess water into towel7. Let air dry
How often do you clean your brushes? Do you have a backup set like me just in case you don’t have time to clean your brushes?